A quick look at our calendar will indicate we have a busy month ahead, which is reflective of another exciting year politically. As Paul Craney from the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance points out, we have three things coming together which indicate the potential for significant gains for conservatives in Massachusetts:
- An “off” (i.e. non-Presidential) election year.
- An open Governor’s seat (where his disastrous record will hurt the incumbent’s party).
- We are entering the “lame duck” years of a politically wounded President.
For those of you with strong stomachs that withstood listening to President Obama’s State Of The Union (SOTU) speech…. While Obama tried to put a “good face” on his record, I am pretty sure the American people are NOT “buying it” (not that he has left us with any money!). Even with a slavish media which seems bent on covering up every scandal possible, Obama’s fifth Presidential year approval ratings are only slightly above Bush 43 (amidst Katrina and a war) and Nixon (Watergate, a VP resignation).
Obama finished 2013 with PolitiFact’s “Lie of the Year” award. Indeed, the jokes that have flowed from his lie of “If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance” are numerous and telling – such as “If you like your freedom, you can keep your freedom [snicker].” The President’s honesty being the frequent subject of jokes has not been this bad since Clinton’s “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” and Nixon’s “I am not a crook!”. Obama may well go down in history as the biggest presidential liar ever (at least among those who did not resign or suffer impeachment [yet]).
Obamacare: the lies, the disaster. It’s as if the Titanic, after hitting the iceberg, backed up and rammed it again and again! The website continues to reach new lows – while it is no longer completely non-functional due to crashing, recently there was Congressional testimony proving the site is not secure – Security Expert Hacks Obamacare Website In 4 Minutes; Accesses 70,000 Records. If the NSA doesn’t get your most private healthcare information, identity thieves will!!! Reports of patients not getting care, doctors being on hold for hours trying to verify insurance, etc, are all anecdotal because the main stream media is not doing its job.
And if the media had been doing its job over the past year, Obama would be toast – the Obamacare website, the Obamacare exchanges, millions upon millions of people being forced out of their insurance by Obamacare, the insurance bailouts written into Obamacare, the IRS scandals, Benghazi, NSA spying on the American people, an “almost war” with Syria, government targeting of its “enemies” (e.g. the IRS vs the Tea Party), Common Core hitting the fan at the state level, the tanking economy, unemployment, the revelation that the unemployment numbers were “faked” in 2012, his use of executive orders to circumvent whatever law he darn well pleases (!), etc., etc. etc… The list of scandals is never ending!
SOTU had Obama calling for a “year of action” while fully acknowledging he can not achieve it without resorting to government-expanding executive orders. Obama’s “I’ve Got a Pen and I’ve Got a Phone” – and the implied threat accompanying that statement – should concern every freedom-loving American. House Republicans should be our last line of defense against a lawless President. But they need to have the testicular fortitude to stand up for principles. There are some indications they may not have what it takes (Breitbart: House GOP to Obama: Let’s Do a ‘Year of Action’ Together) – particularly on immigration reform.
WE must be vigilant. Being informed and being fully prepared to counter the Leftist agenda is key. And the Greater Boston Tea Party has a lot of ammunition in its jam-packed meetings this month. We have speakers touching on many of the points raised in SOTU:
- Immigration Reform – Jessica Vaughan, Director of Policy Studies from the Center for Immigration Studies will be speaking at our Boston meeting.
- Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance and Citizens for Limited Taxation and the Greater Boston Tea Party are hosting Michael Saltsman, joined by State representative Jim Lyons and Lenny Mirra to discuss the initiatives, both in Massachusetts and nationally, to increase the minimum wage. We sent details out as a separate email, and here is the link to the email for details.
- Common Core (countering Obama’s ‘Race to the Top’ [bottom]) will be the subject at the Holbrook meeting (where Paul Craney from Mass Fiscal will also address minimum wage, and the year ahead).
- At Medford we will host Patrick Barron will present his topic Defining the Machine, exposing the “pay to play” system in Washington.
- And also at the Boston meeting, Nathan Fatal from the New England Objectivist Society and Students for Liberty will discuss student activism – how to reach out to the young adults, a very important goal for our future viability.
Speaking of Students For Liberty – they are attempting to raise funds to charter a bus to go to Washington DC for an international conference. They are a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to spreading the message of liberty to college age young adults. They are very passionate about their work! They are a worthy cause I would recommend supporting – and a little goes a long way! You can donate to help fund their bus trip here.
Our friends at the Northborough Tea Party will be very focused on the immigration issue, ramping up their American First Immigration Reform campaign. Look for some good things coming from that group, with ways for you to get involved.
We have a bright future ahead in 2014! The GBTP Medford Meeting will also return to being a monthly meeting (all meetings are monthly now). There is much work to do, and there is plenty of energy to utilize and a high level of interest to tap into. GET TO WORK!!
2014 IS an exciting year! I look forward to it, and with your support, we WILL make a difference!